The Best Reishi Mushroom Supplements of 2023 (Our Top 3 Picks)
In a world constantly in pursuit of wellness and vitality, nature has consistently offered us remarkable solutions. Among these gifts from the Earth, the Reishi mushroom stands tall, captivating the health-conscious with its potential for enhancing well-being. As we step into 2023, the fascination with Reishi mushroom supplements continues to grow, fueled by the mushroom’s incredible reputation as a health-boosting powerhouse.
At Mushroom Health Hub, we’re here to assist you in integrating functional mushrooms into your health and wellness regimen. We’ve personally witnessed the remarkable transformations they can bring about.
Not All Reishi Supplements Are Created Equal
It’s essential to understand that not all Reishi mushroom supplements are equal. The market is flooded with options, each claiming to harness the power of this ancient fungus. However, product quality and effectiveness can vary significantly. You must navigate this landscape wisely and choose the best to fully experience the benefits of Reishi.
What to Expect in this Article
In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the world of Reishi mushroom supplements in 2023. Our mission is to assist you in making informed choices regarding the products you incorporate into your wellness routine. We will explore the benefits of Reishi, break down the factors that set high-quality supplements apart, and provide you with valuable insights to maximize the potential of this remarkable fungus.
In this article:
Best Reishi Mushroom Supplements at a Glance
Top 3 Best Reishi Mushroom Supplements in 2023
We have conducted extensive market research to present you with a curated list of the top three Reishi mushroom supplements available. These providers have been meticulously chosen based on our rigorous criteria, ensuring that these supplements meet the highest standards of quality and effectiveness. Our team has undertaken the task of evaluating and comparing these products, so you can now make an informed choice from our recommended Reishi mushroom supplements with complete confidence. Explore our list to discover the ideal option that aligns with your specific needs and preferences.
#1 Real Mushrooms Reishi Longevity– Overall The Best Pure Reishi Extract Powder
- Designed to support the immune system
- Supports mental clarity
- Purity from hand-picked Reishi fruiting bodies.
- Verified >25% Beta-glucans, >4% triterpenes level
- Made from 100% organic Reishi mushrooms with no grain filler of any kind
- Easy to blend into drinks.
- Dual-extracted for increased bioavailability
- The taste may not suit everyone.
- Unrealistic taste expectations.
Real Mushroom Reishi Extract Powder offers potent benefits for longevity, mood enhancement, improved sleep, and robust immune support. Their mushroom extract powder comes exclusively from hand-picked red Reishi mushroom fruiting bodies, not from mycelium grown on grain like most other brands. What truly stands out is its exceptional purity and they use extract powder instead of just mushroom powder. The mushroom extract is more concentrated and potent than mushroom powder, as it contains a higher concentration of bioactive compounds and nutrients, offering greater health benefits in smaller doses, but they tend to be more expensive.
What impressed us more is that all their Reishi mushrooms are 100% organic, log-grown and use a hot water extraction method. There are no grain fillers or additives here—just pure, unadulterated mushroom goodness. they are transparent with their beta-glucan and triterpenes content, verified by 3rd-party labs. Plus, it’s USDA-certified organic, gluten-free, non-GMO, and vegan, catering to various dietary preferences.
Taste-wise, it is pleasantly neutral, and it can easily blend into your morning coffee and smoothies. It’s a subtle, earthy flavor that complements rather than overpowers. However, it’s important to manage expectations. Reishi won’t taste like chocolate, as some reviewers seemed to expect. Personal responses to mushroom supplements can vary, so it’s crucial to see how they work for you.
Overall, if you’re a fellow mushroom enthusiast seeking a high-quality Reishi extract supplement, this one from Real Mushrooms is worth a try.
A one-time purchase of a 45g bag costs $34.95 ($0.78 per serving), 45 servings.
📢 SPECIAL OFFER: Subscribe for monthly Real Mushrooms delivery, and save 15%!
#2 Real Mushroom Reishi Longevity -Overall The Best Pure Reishi Extract Capsules
- Improves energy and sleep
- 100% mushroom fruiting bodies
- 25% beta-glucans for immune support
- Contain the highest amount of Triterpenes of 40g
- Made in an NSF-certified facility in the USA
- Third-party tested
- The unpleasant smell of capsules
- Capsules contain silica dioxide
After trying Real Mushroom reishi extract powder, we also experimented with their Reishi Extract Capsules. These capsules provided a more convenient way to include the Reishi supplement. They can be taken swiftly with a sip of water, and they are not accompanied by the pronounced mushroom bitterness. Additionally, their compact size makes them an excellent travel companion.
Now, let’s talk about the drawbacks of these capsules. Firstly, their capsule size could be a challenge, but you can make it easier by taking them with food. Secondly, the vegetable capsules themselves contain ingredients like silicon dioxide and stearic acid. We prefer the powdered form, which consists of 100% reishi mushroom extract without any additional ingredients. But it’s up to you, if you don’t mind the capsule ingredients and looking for a convenient way to take Reishi, give them a try.
A one-time purchase of a 90 capsules bottle costs $34.95($0.78 per serving), 45 servings.
📢 SPECIAL OFFER: Subscribe for monthly Real Mushrooms delivery, and save 15%!
#3 Om Reishi Mushroom Powder (Best Value)
- Stress reduction and improved focus.
- Full Spectrum Immune Support
- 100% organic mushrooms
- USA grown
- Non-GMO, gluten-free, vegan
- 3rd-party tested
- Subjective taste.
- Unknown % beta-glucans
If you’re on the lookout for an affordable Reishi supplement, we recommend you give Om Reishi Mushroom Powder a try. It offers great value for your money, as their product provides a substantial 2000g of Reishi mushroom in each serving.
What we like about Om is that they control every aspect of their operation, they grow, dry, and mill all their organic mushrooms into powders in their state-of-the-art facilities in Southern California, USA. This adaptogenic mushroom powder can help your body achieve balance and support its response to physical and mental stress. Additionally, their product provides cardiovascular support and helps downregulate an overactive immune system.
Of course, no product is perfect. First, they lack specific information about the beta-glucan content. Second, they use both mycelium and fruiting bodies for their powder. Lastly, their reishi mushrooms are cultured on organic oats, some argue that oat-grown Reishi may lack certain compounds found in log-grown Reishi, depending on the cultivation process.
Overall, their brand is trustworthy, and their product can be an excellent choice to get you started on your Reishi supplement journey.
A one-time purchase of a 100g bag costs $19.99 ($0.40 per serving), 50 servings.
Comparison of The 3 Best Reishi Mushroom Supplements
|Supplement||Price||Cost per Serving||Servings||Reishi content||Beta-glucans & Triterpenes||Serving Size||Form|
|$34.95||$0.78||45||1000mg(Extract)||250g & 40g||1g||Powder|
|RealMushroom Capsules||$34.95||$0.78||45||1000mg(Extract)||250g & 40g||2 capsules||Capsule|
What is Reishi?
Reishi mushrooms, also known as Ganoderma lucidum or lingzhi, thrive in the hot and humid regions of Asia. They have a rich history in traditional Eastern medicine, where they’re thought to promote long-term health and longevity. These mushrooms are large, shiny, and fan-shaped, with colors ranging from orange to reddish-brown.
How Does It Work
So, how do they work? Reishi mushrooms contain beta-glucans, which are complex sugars that can slow the growth of cancer cells and boost your immune system. They help enhance your immune function by acting on your white blood cells. People dealing with conditions like AIDS and cancer often use reishi mushrooms as an immunostimulant. Additionally, reishi mushrooms fall into the category of adaptogens, which are plants that assist your body in dealing with stress. Beta-glucans also help regulate cholesterol levels, reduce inflammation, and may have potential anti-tumor effects.
Triterpenes in Reishi mushrooms contribute to health by supporting the immune system and reducing inflammation. They have antioxidant properties that help combat free radicals, promoting overall well-being. These compounds also aid in managing stress and may have potential anticancer effects, making Reishi a valuable addition to a healthy lifestyle.
Benefits of Reishi Mushroom Supplements
Reishi mushrooms offer several potential health benefits, and scientists have made some promising discoveries:
1. Boosting Your Immune System
Reishi mushrooms have the remarkable ability to enhance your immune system by positively influencing the genes within your white blood cells, which play a pivotal role in your body’s defense mechanisms. Certain Reishi varieties also modulate inflammation pathways within these cells, further strengthening your immunity.
2. Managing Blood Sugar and Blood Pressure
Reishi mushrooms, enriched with over 400 different nutrients, including beneficial beta-glucans and triterpenoids, can play a crucial role in regulating your blood sugar and blood pressure levels. By doing so, they contribute to reducing the risks associated with diabetes and heart disease, which makes them a valuable addition to your overall health regimen.
3. Strong Antioxidant Properties
Research findings point to the substantial antioxidant activity present in Reishi mushrooms. This antioxidant prowess acts as a protective shield for your body, shielding it from cellular damage that can escalate your susceptibility to a wide array of chronic diseases.
4. Potential Anti-Cancer Effects
Also, Reishi mushrooms are being studied for their potential anti-cancer properties, including the induction of cancer cell death and their impact on specific signaling pathways linked to cancer development.
5. Allergy Relief
Reishi mushrooms have garnered interest for their potential to provide allergy relief. Studies have demonstrated their ability to induce the death of cancer cells, and they are currently being investigated for their role in addressing prostate and colorectal cancers due to their impact on inflammation and specific signaling pathways.
6. Promoting Quality Sleep:
Furthermore, Reishi mushrooms have gained recognition for their potential to enhance the quality of your sleep. Their natural properties help you relax and unwind, creating an atmosphere conducive to falling asleep peacefully and enjoying a truly restful night’s sleep.
It’s important to keep in mind that while reishi mushroom supplements show promise, more research is necessary to fully confirm these potential benefits. Always consult with a healthcare professional before adding them to your health regimen to ensure they are suitable for your specific needs.
Other Medicinal Mushrooms and Their Benefits
- Lion’s mane mushroom — often referred to as the “brain-boosting mushroom,” holds a significant place in Eastern medicine. According to Eastern medicine traditions, the Lion’s Mane is believed to enhance cognitive function, improve memory, increase mental clarity, support neurological health, and aid in addressing lower urinary tract symptoms in males.
- Chaga mushroom — a fungus that grows on birch trees in cold climates. People typically steep it in hot water and consume it as tea. It is believed to boost the immune system, reduce inflammation, and support liver health.
- Cordyceps — a fungus found worldwide. It is parasitic in nature and infects various insects to produce its fruiting body, which is edible. It is thought to have anti-aging and anti-fatigue properties.
- Turkey tail mushroom — a fungus that grows on dead logs all around the world. It gets its name from its shape and color, resembling turkey tail feathers. Traditional Chinese medicine uses it to treat pulmonary diseases, and it is also being studied for its potential as a cancer treatment.
- Maitake mushroom — a nutrient-rich fungus used in traditional Asian medicine. It is believed to help manage diabetes, lower cholesterol levels, reduce high blood pressure, and boost the immune system.
- Shiitake mushroom — an edible mushroom native to East Asia and commonly included in food dishes. It contains a sugar molecule called lentinan, which is believed to offer several health benefits. Although studies have explored its potential to lower high cholesterol and treat infections, clinical data supporting these uses are lacking.
Precautions & Side Effects
Before Taking Reishi Supplements, Consider These Important Points:
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, it’s best to avoid reishi mushroom supplements. Reliable information on their safety during these times is limited.
- Surgery: If you have surgery scheduled, be cautious. High doses of reishi mushroom may increase the risk of bleeding. It’s advisable to stop using Reishi at least two weeks before your surgery date.
- Interactions: Keep an eye on your blood sugar levels. Reishi mushrooms might lower them. Also, it could slow down blood clotting. If you’re planning surgery, discontinue reishi mushroom use at least two weeks before the procedure.
- Common Side Effects: Dizziness, dry mouth, itching, nausea, stomach upset, or a rash when taking reishi supplements.
- Liver Toxicity: Liver toxicity is a severe side effect that, in rare cases, can be fatal. Prolonged use of powdered reishi mushroom supplements for over a month may pose a risk to your liver.
- Other Potential Side Effects: Additional possible side effects include upset stomach, skin rashes, chronic diarrhea, insomnia, and dryness in the mouth, throat, and nose, which may cause itchiness.
Remember, while reishi supplements offer potential health benefits, it’s crucial to be aware of these precautions and potential side effects. Always consult with a healthcare professional before incorporating reishi mushroom supplements into your routine, especially if you fall into any of the precautionary categories. Your health and safety should always be the top priority.
How to Choose the Right Reishi Supplement For You
When selecting a Reishi mushroom supplement, consider the following factors to make an informed choice:
- Look for Third-Party Lab Testing: Ideally, you should opt for a Reishi supplement that a third-party lab has evaluated for authenticity, potency, and ingredient composition. This verification ensures that the product indeed contains Reishi and contains the claimed concentration of beneficial beta-glucans. For instance, ConsumerLab conducted research on Reishi mushroom supplements and found that Real Mushrooms’ Reishi 415 product stood out among the seven popular options they tested.
- Verify Ingredient Source and Quality: It’s crucial to verify the source and quality of all the ingredients utilized in the Reishi supplement you’re interested in.
- Choose the Right Species: Reishi supplements come from various species of mushroom, with Ganoderma lucidum being the most commonly used in supplements. Ensure you select a supplement that utilizes the correct Reishi species for your needs.
- Check the Extraction Method: There are two primary methods for extracting active compounds from mushrooms for supplements: hot water extraction and alcohol extraction. Some supplements employ a dual-extraction method that combines both water and ethanol to capture a comprehensive spectrum of beneficial compounds from Reishi mushrooms.
- Consider the Dosage: The recommended dosage of Reishi supplements varies depending on your purpose for taking them. As a general guideline, 1-2 grams per day is suitable for general health and well-being. However, if you’re exploring Reishi for more serious health conditions or illnesses, a higher dosage may be necessary.
These considerations empower you to make an informed and tailored choice when selecting a Reishi mushroom supplement that aligns with your health goals and preferences. Always remember that consulting with a healthcare professional can provide further guidance based on your specific needs and circumstances.
How We Chose the Best Reishi Supplements
To create this roundup of the best Reishi supplements, we considered various factors. These factors include examining the product’s formula, assessing the brand’s reputation, checking for third-party testing, evaluating the price per serving, and considering consumer reviews. By considering these aspects, we aim to provide you with a helpful and well-rounded selection of Reishi mushroom supplements to choose from.
Which specific raw materials does the product utilize, and what scientifically proven benefits do they offer? Furthermore, can you provide information on the form of these materials? For example, if the product contains a micronutrient, is it in a bioavailable form of the vitamin/mineral?
What are the advanced extraction techniques used in obtaining Reishi extract for supplements, such as hot water extraction or dual extraction? Does the mushroom powder solely consist of 100% mushrooms derived from fruiting bodies, rather than mycelium cultivated on grain like many other brands?
Dosage and Concentration
What is the recommended frequency for optimal results when using the product? How does the brand’s recommended dosage compare to clinically-backed dosage recommendations for its intended purpose?
Where is the product manufactured and what is the production process like? Does the brand use proprietary blends instead of providing a detailed list of ingredients? Is the product manufactured in a cGMP facility that follows quality standards? Additionally, do they consistently use proprietary blends instead of disclosing the exact composition of the product? Do they conduct regular annual audits to ensure adherence to best practices?
Are there additional ingredients included in the product formulation? Does the product contain any grains, additives, or fillers?
What testing has been conducted on the product? Has it undergone verification by a reputable third-party source, such as a laboratory or institution?
Customer Reviews and Reputation
What are the customer ratings (pros and cons) for the product on the brand’s website and third-party platforms like Amazon? Does the brand enjoy a positive reputation with satisfied customers and a robust track record of customer reviews?
Price Per Serving
What is the price for a single purchase? How much does each serving cost? How many servings does the product include? Is the higher cost of raw ingredients attributed to the brand or a proprietary blend of ingredients?
Amount of Mushroom Content Per Serving
What is the amount of mushroom content included per serving in the product? Does the product contain any other medicinal compounds? If so, how much of each compound is present in the product?
Brand / Company
How do customers perceive the brand in terms of reputation? Does the brand produce any other comparable products? Is the brand widely recognized and popular? Do health professionals trust or recommend the brand?
Can customers set up subscription orders for the product? Are there any benefits or discounts available with subscription orders?
What is the best brand for reishi mushroom?
In our opinion, the best brand for reishi mushroom is Real Mushroom. They stand out due to their commitment to quality and transparency. Real Mushroom products are backed by rigorous third-party testing, ensuring authenticity and potency. Per serving, they offer an impressive 250g of beta-glucans and 40g of triterpenes, making them a trustworthy choice for those seeking the full benefits of reishi mushrooms while providing clear and detailed nutritional information.
What should I look for in a Reishi supplement?
When choosing a Reishi supplement, look for reputable brands with third-party testing to ensure quality. Check for the presence of the active compound, beta-glucans, and choose capsules or extracts for easy consumption. Always consult with a healthcare professional before adding any new supplement to your routine to ensure it’s safe for you.
Is it safe to take reishi mushroom every day?
Taking Reishi mushroom daily is generally safe for most people when consumed within recommended doses. However, it’s advisable to consult with a healthcare professional to ensure it doesn’t interact with any medications or health conditions you may have. Start with a lower dose and monitor for any adverse reactions.
Do reishi mushroom capsules work?
Yes, Reishi mushroom capsules can be just as effective as Reishi powder. They offer a convenient way to consume this medicinal mushroom, containing bioactive compounds like beta-glucans. However, individual results may vary, and it’s important to choose a high-quality product from a trusted source for the best results.
Summary: Are Reishi Mushroom Supplements Worth a Try?
Overall, in our experience, taking Reishi has been both fulfilling and surprisingly enjoyable. They are worth a try. What made a significant difference was my open mindset from the beginning, allowing me to be receptive to the potential benefits and closely monitor how my body responded.
I’ve noticed a boost in my energy levels and reduced fatigue when I consistently take my daily Reishi supplements. It’s important to maintain a routine with it to help your body fully absorb the natural advantages of Reishi. If you miss a day or a few, your body needs to readjust to these beneficial compounds all over again. So, staying consistent can be key to reaping its rewards.
1. Influence of Substrate Composition on Beta-Glucans Production and Growth of Ganoderma lucidum. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335527320_Influence_of_Substrate_Composition_on_Beta-Glucans_Production_and_Growth_of_Ganoderma_lucidum
2. Triterpenoids from the fruiting bodies of Ganoderma lucidum and their inhibitory activity against FAAH. Retrieved from https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0367326X22000399
3. Antitumour, Antimicrobial, Antioxidant and Antiacetylcholinesterase Effect of Ganoderma Lucidum Terpenoids and Polysaccharides: A Review. Retrieved from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29534044/
4. Ganoderma lucidum promotes sleep through a gut microbiota-dependent and serotonin-involved pathway in mice. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8249598/