The Best Chaga Mushroom Supplement: Our Top 6 Picks for 2023
*Last updated on July 28, 2023*
If you’re looking for the best chaga mushroom supplement to improve your digestion and boost your immune system, you’ve come to the right place. Chaga supplements are packed with active compounds like antioxidants (polyphenols), beta-D-glucans, betulin and betulinic acid, polysaccharides, triterpenoids, melanins, and inotodial.
We’ve carefully evaluated several supplement brands and ranked them based on strict criteria to ensure they meet high standards in terms of quality, potency, and value. Our goal is to provide you with safe and effective options.
As you shop, keep an eye out for these factors to narrow down your search and ensure you get exactly what you want. So, without any delay, let’s jump right into our top 6 best Chaga mushroom supplements.
In this article:
Our Top Picks:
1. Best Overall: Real Mushrooms Chaga Extract Powder
2. Best Capsules: Real Mushrooms Chaga Extract Capsules
3. Most Effective: Sayan Pure Raw Chaga Chunks
4. Best Value: Teaveli Organic Chaga Fine Powder
5. Best for Antioxidant Support: Host Defense Chaga Capsules
6. Best Taste: Mushroom Hot Chocolate Mix
6 Best Chaga Mushroom Supplements in 2023
Having completed comprehensive market research, we’re excited to present to you a thoughtfully curated list of the best Chaga mushroom supplements available. Our rigorous selection process ensures that these top-rated providers meet our strict criteria for quality and effectiveness. Rest assured, each supplement has been thoroughly evaluated and compared to provide you with the best options.
With this list in hand, you can confidently choose the perfect Chaga mushroom supplement that aligns with your specific needs and preferences. Take a look and explore the various options to find the one that suits you best. We’re here to simplify your decision-making process and empower you to make the right choice
#1 Best Overall: Real Mushrooms Chaga Digestive Health Extract Powder
- Designed to improve digestive health
- Guaranteed >8% Beta-glucans
- Hot water extracted from wild-harvested Siberian Chaga
- Third-party tested
- No fillers or grains of any kind
- Manufactured in NSF-certified facilities in the USA
- Unpleasant taste
- Packaging is hard to reseal
Why It’s Worth It: Real Mushrooms Chaga Digestive Health Extract Powder offers a fantastic price while maintaining high product quality, providing 1000mg of organic Chaga extract and over 80g of beta-glucan per serving. It has been selected as the top mushroom brand by ConsumerLab for a reason. This extract powder contains only hot water extracted from 100% wild-harvested Siberian Chaga fruit bodies, with no fillers, mycelium, or grain. Additionally, it is scientifically measured and verified for its active compounds, such as beta-glucan, betulinic acid, and inotodiol, which focus on boosting energy, supporting the immune system, improving skin health, and enhancing digestion.
What’s more, it prioritizes high-quality and sustainable ingredients, making its Chaga extract even more valuable. So, if you’re looking for a reliable and effective Chaga supplement, this one ticks all the boxes.
Editor Tip: You can simply blend 1/2 tsp of this powder into your coffee, tea, smoothie, or any recipe to experience its benefits. We prefer mixing it with warm water and drinking it half an hour before breakfast.
Who It’s For: Anyone aiming to enhance both digestion and immune function.
A one-time purchase of a 60g bag costs $29.95 ($0.50 per serving), 60 servings.
📢 SPECIAL OFFER: Subscribe for monthly Real Mushrooms delivery, save 15%!
#2 Best Capsules: Real Mushrooms Chaga Digestive Health Capsules
- Support energy, immune, skin and digestion
- Convenient capsule form
- Guaranteed >8% Beta-glucans
- Third-party tested
- No added starch or grain of any kind
- Grown in the USA
- 100% organic and natural
- Unpleasant taste
- Hard to swallow
Why It’s Worth It: Real Mushrooms Chaga Digestive Health Capsules offer the same benefits as the powder. Each serving contains 1000mg of organic Chaga extract with over 80g of beta-glucan. They come in convenient, easy-to-swallow, and travel-friendly capsules. These capsules are vegan-friendly, crafted with organic Chaga mushroom extract, eliminating the need to deal with the bitter taste of mushrooms. Furthermore, they are gluten-free and free from additives or preservatives. The only downside is the presence of silicon dioxide in the capsules.
Editor Tip: All you need to do is take 2 capsules a day to enjoy the benefits of chaga. If you find the capsules too large to swallow, you can open them and mix the contents into hot tea or coffee.
Who It’s For: For those seeking to experience the benefits of chaga without the unpleasant taste of bitter mushrooms.
A one-time purchase of a 120 capsules bottle costs $29.95($0.50 per serving), 60 servings.
📢 SPECIAL OFFER: Subscribe for monthly Real Mushrooms delivery, save 15%!
#3 Most Effective: Sayan Siberian Raw Chaga Chunks with Black Top Crust
- 100% wild-harvested with a nutrient-rich black crust
- Supports the immune system and provides an energy boost
- Promotes digestion and liver support
- Each Chaga chunk can be re-used
- Non-GMO with no preservatives
- Pharmaceutical-grade drying for quality assurance
- Requires 40-50 mins of brewing and steeping time
Why It’s Worth It: This is the most effective option we’ve tried. Unlike other brands that offer only 30% black crust, these Chaga chunks are dried to 14% humidity, 100% of their Chaga chunks come complete with their nutrient-rich crust, the most beneficial part of this medicinal mushroom. Abundant in polysaccharides and beta-glucans, it aids in maintaining a robust immune system and provides a caffeine-free energy boost to combat post-lunch fatigue. It also promotes digestion and enhances nutrient absorption, leading to improved skin and hair health.
Additionally, you can enjoy a delightful tea-like beverage with a mild, earthy flavor by simply placing it in a tea bag while brewing. With this remarkable Chaga product, bid farewell to afternoon slumps and oxidative stress. If you’re in search of a potent, high-dose Chaga tea, give this one a try. You won’t be disappointed.
Editor Tip: It requires 40-50 minutes of brewing time, a little patience goes a long way. We like to add some fresh ginger and turmeric slices. You can also reuse the mushrooms a few times, but we recommend using them twice for optimal results. Despite being on the pricier side, their reusability evens out the cost.
Who It’s For: Anyone looking for the most effective chaga experience.
A one-time purchase of a 1Lb ( 454g) bag costs $57.99 ($1.29 per serving), 45 servings. (Each Chaga chunk can be re-used twice!)
- Improvement in mental clarity and focus
- Increased energy and reduced fatigue
- Positive impact on the respiratory system
- Certified organic
- 3rd-party lab tests
- Certified plastic nuetral
- Environmentally conscious brand, but its packaging lacks sealability
- Contains bits of birch bark, not a fine powder as advertised
Why It’s Worth It: This Chaga Mushroom Fine Powder comes at an exceptionally reasonable price. It’s packed with essential nutrients and is renowned for its immune-boosting properties. Responsibly gathered from the wild, it offers an authentic and potent Chaga tea experience, complete with bits of native birch bark still attached. Keep in mind that it may not dissolve entirely, despite being labeled as fine powder, which can be a bit confusing. Nevertheless, it’s an excellent choice for stirring into coffee, blending into smoothies, or brewing a soothing Chaga tea – a caffeine-free alternative to energy drinks. Overall, it’s a product worth trying.
Editor Tip: The brand places a strong emphasis on environmental responsibility and actively reduces its plastic footprint. In line with their eco-friendly approach, as a result, the included bag is not very convenient and lacks a seal. For a better experience, consider transferring the powder to your own sealable container.
Who It’s For: If you’re new to Chaga and want to try it without a significant investment, this is for you.
A one-time purchase of an 8-ounce (227g) bottle costs $24.99 ($0.33 per serving), 75 servings.
#5 Best for Antioxidant Support: Host Defense Chaga Capsules
- Made from freeze-dried mushroom mycelium
- Rich in immune-supporting polysaccharides.
- Easy to take (2 capsules daily).
- Certified organic
- USA-grown mushrooms.
- Contain grains
- Not using Chaga extract
Why It’s Worth It: You may be familiar with the Host Defense brand, founded by Paul Stamets, an American mycologist and entrepreneur known for his expertise in medicinal mushrooms. Stamets, with his deep knowledge of mushrooms, offers a product that delivers potent antioxidant support through the unique Chaga mushroom, renowned for its ability to combat free radical damage. These capsules per serving contains 1000mg of organic Chaga and 550mg Polysaccharides, are also loaded with immune-supporting, providing a healthy boost. We recommend giving it a try to see how it works for you.
Editor Tip: However, we hold great admiration for Paul Stamets and his work. In an interview, he himself emphasized the importance of extracting mushrooms for maximum benefits. Yet, it’s noteworthy that this product do not utilize extraction methods. Instead, they primarily feature mycelium, which some consider the less valuable part of mushrooms. Still, Paul Stamets maintains his belief in the quality outcomes of his approach.
Who It’s For: If you want to feel rested, focused, and at your best, give this world-famous brand from the trustworthy Paul Stamets a try.
A one-time purchase of a 60-capsule bottle costs $21.50 ($0.72 per serving), 30 servings.
#6 Best Taste: Real Mushrooms Hot Chocolate Mix
- Made with sustainable heirloom cacao
- USDA Certified Organic
- Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO
- No added starch, mycelium, or grain of any kind
- 3rd party labs tested
- Offer sweet and unsweet options
- Small product size compared to its price.
Why It’s Worth It: If you’re a hot chocolate lover like us, you’ll be delighted by this mushroom hot chocolate mix. They offer both sweet and unsweetened options in their vegan hot chocolate blend, made with 75% heirloom cacao and a signature 5 Defenders mushroom blend (Turkey Tail, Chaga, Maitake, Shiitake & Reishi Mushroom). When you taste it, you’ll notice a fantastic hint of coconut flavor that beautifully complements the rich chocolate taste. For an even better experience, mix it with almond milk, maple syrup, and a dash of cinnamon. Additionally, you can get creative and use it as an ingredient in your favorite desserts, adding a unique twist to your treats. Nevertheless, the concentrated mushroom extract with its health benefits makes it worthwhile, and its versatility allows you to enjoy it in various ways, whether hot or cold.
Editor’s Tip: Although we love the taste, be prepared that the product size is a bit small for the price; it only contains 15 servings, which can make it slightly on the pricey side.
Who It’s For: For anyone with a sweet tooth who enjoys delicious hot chocolate and wants to experience the benefits of functional mushrooms.
A one-time purchase of 240g (pack of 1) costs $24.95 ($1.66 per serving), 15 servings.
📢 SPECIAL OFFER: Subscribe for monthly Real Mushrooms delivery, save 15%!
Comparison of The Top 6 Best Chaga Mushroom Supplement
|Supplement||Chaga Extract (per serving)||Price (per serving)||Number of Servings||Additional Information|
|Real Mushrooms powder||1000mg||$0.50||60||Contains 80mg Beta-glucans|
|Real Mushrooms capsules||1000mg||$0.50||60||Contains 80mg Beta-glucans|
|Sayan Siberian||10000mg||$1.29||45||100% wild Chaga with black crust, can be re-used twice|
|Teaveli powder||3000mg||$0.33||75||Organic Chaga mushroom powder|
|Host Defense Capsules||1550mg||$0.72||30||Contains 550mg Polysaccharides|
|Real Mushrooms hot chocolate mix||500mg||$1.66||15||Ideal for hot chocolate lovers|
Please note that it’s always a good idea to double-check the information before making a purchase decision.
What is Chaga Mushroom?
Chaga mushroom, whose scientific name is Inonotus obliquus, is a medicinal fungus that thrives on birch trees in cold climates like northern Europe, Russia, and parts of North America. It’s packed with powerful antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, polysaccharides, and other beneficial compounds.
How Does It Work
For centuries, people have used Chaga in traditional medicine to address various issues, including inflammation, fatigue, and digestive problems. In recent years, it has gained popularity as an immune system booster and health supplement, all thanks to its rich antioxidant content.
You can enjoy this mushroom in various forms – powder, tinctures, capsules, tablets, or even gummies. Plus, you can add it to your favorite drinks like tea, coffee, or smoothies, or put it in your healthy dessert, for both flavor enhancement and added health benefits. Its earthy and slightly sweet taste complements many recipes perfectly.
Before introducing any new supplement or making significant changes to your diet, it’s always wise to consult with a healthcare professional. They can guide you on the best approach to incorporating chaga mushroom into your wellness routine safely and effectively.
Benefits of Chaga Supplements
Taking a chaga mushroom supplement is not only for its potential health benefits but also because it’s easy to consume. Recent studies show that Chaga mushrooms contain antioxidants and plant compounds that benefit your health. They may protect you against cardiovascular disease by reducing high cholesterol levels. These mushrooms might also help prevent and slow cancer growth. With their rich antioxidants, they actively prevent cell damage caused by free radicals. Plus, they support your immune system by regulating cytokine production, enhancing your ability to fight infections.
Chaga contains powerful polysaccharides with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These effects have been observed in studies using tissue culture. Taking chaga tea may help reduce oxidative stress and inflammation, which can contribute to aging by damaging body tissues, cells, and DNA.
Boost Your Immune System
This mushroom has beta-glucans, natural carbs that boost your immune defense. Additionally, they also regulate cytokine production, strengthening your immune system’s communication and aiding in fighting infections, from minor colds to serious illnesses.
It helps support your immune system and aids cell communication by regulating cytokine production. This, in turn, helps fight infections and prevents long-term inflammation, which is linked to conditions like heart disease and rheumatoid arthritis. Chaga extract lowers inflammation in your body by reducing harmful cytokines, providing you with valuable health benefits.
Prevent and Fight Cancer
Studies on animals and test tubes have shown promising results in preventing and slowing cancer growth with Chaga. For instance, in mice with cancer, Chaga supplements reduced tumor size by 60%. However, more research is needed, particularly for lung, breast, prostate, and colon cancers.
Chaga has a mild stimulant effect and was used as a coffee substitute in some European countries during World War II when coffee and sugar were scarce. Its pleasant vanilla taste made it a popular choice. Studies have shown that Chaga’s hot water extract can help mice recover from both muscular and mental fatigue.
Lower Blood Sugar and Cholesterol
Chaga’s beta-D-glucans have shown the potential to lower blood sugar levels. Although further research is needed to confirm its effectiveness for conditions like diabetes, Chaga’s antioxidant and beta-glucans properties may help combat oxidation and lower blood pressure.
Other Medicinal Mushrooms and Their Benefits
- Reishi mushroom — also known as the “mushroom of immortality,” has several uses in Eastern medicine. Eastern medicine practitioners believe that it can lower cholesterol, increase strength and stamina, boost the immune system, and treat lower urinary tract symptoms in males.
- Lion’s mane — A brain-boosting mushroom with potential cognitive benefits, known for its unique appearance and immune-boosting properties. This mushroom gets its name from its long, shaggy, and cascading spines that resemble a lion’s mane, making it a captivating addition to the forest.
- Cordyceps — a fungus found worldwide. It is parasitic and infects various insects to produce its fruiting body, which is edible. It is thought to have anti-aging and anti-fatigue properties.
- Turkey tail mushroom — a fungus that grows on dead logs all around the world. It gets its name from its shape and color, resembling turkey tail feathers. Traditional Chinese medicine uses it to treat pulmonary diseases, and it is also being studied for its potential as a cancer treatment.
- Maitake mushroom — a nutrient-rich fungus used in traditional Asian medicine. It is believed to help manage diabetes, lower cholesterol levels, reduce high blood pressure, and boost the immune system.
- Shiitake mushroom — an edible mushroom native to East Asia and commonly included in food dishes. It contains a sugar molecule called lentinan, which is believed to offer several health benefits. Although studies have explored its potential to lower high cholesterol and treat infections, clinical data supporting these uses are lacking.
Precautions & Side Effects
Chaga mushrooms, available in tea or supplement form, offer a plethora of antioxidants, triterpenoids, melanins, polysaccharides, polyphenols, and flavans that can benefit your health. However, it’s essential to exercise caution and stay aware of potential side effects before incorporating them into your diet. Here are some vital considerations for you:
- Ensure health claims align with current scientific evidence by fact-checking.
- Before purchasing Chaga supplements, assess the brand’s integrity and adherence to industry best practices.
- Research supplement brands and opt for reputable sources.
- Always consult with your healthcare provider, especially if you’re pregnant, breastfeeding, taking medications, or managing any medical condition.
- Chaga mushrooms might interact poorly with blood-thinning medications and diabetes drugs.
- They have the potential to lower blood sugar, which could be risky for those on insulin or other blood sugar-lowering medications, leading to possible hypoglycemia.
- Be mindful of oxalates in chaga mushrooms, as excessive consumption may increase the risk of gout, kidney stones, and chronic kidney disease.
Always prioritize consulting your healthcare provider before adding chaga supplements to your routine, especially if you have specific health conditions or are taking medications.
How to Choose The Best Chaga Mushroom Supplement For You
When considering our list of the best chaga mushroom supplement, take note that some of these products often contain a blend of active compounds, not just Chaga alone. Therefore, it’s essential for you to familiarize yourself with the formula and check for any allergies or intolerances to the ingredients. Additionally, make sure to cross-check the ingredients list to identify potential interactions with your prescription medication, if you’re currently taking any. To address these concerns effectively, seeking guidance from a qualified health professional is always helpful. So they can offer personalized advice tailored to your specific needs.
How We Chose the Best Chaga Mushroom Supplement
To create this roundup of the best Chaga mushroom supplements, we considered various factors. These factors include examining the product’s formula, assessing the brand’s reputation, checking for third-party testing, evaluating the price per serving, and considering consumer reviews. By considering these aspects, we aimed to provide you with a helpful and well-rounded selection of lion’s mane supplements to choose from.
Which specific raw materials does the product utilize, and what scientifically-proven benefits do they offer? Furthermore, can you provide information on the form of these materials? For example, if the product contains a micronutrient, is it in a bioavailable form of the vitamin/mineral?
What are the advanced extraction techniques used in obtaining lion’s mane extract for supplements, such as hot water extraction or dual extraction? Does the mushroom powder solely consist of 100% mushrooms derived from fruiting bodies, rather than mycelium cultivated on grain like many other brands?
Dosage and Concentration
What is the recommended frequency for optimal results when using the product? How does the brand’s recommended dosage compare to clinically-backed dosage recommendations for its intended purpose?
Where is the product manufactured and what is the production process like? Does the brand use proprietary blends instead of providing a detailed list of ingredients? Is the product manufactured in a cGMP facility that follows quality standards? Additionally, do they consistently use proprietary blends instead of disclosing the exact composition of the product? Do they conduct regular annual audits to ensure adherence to best practices?
Are there additional ingredients included in the product formulation? Does the product contain any grains, additives, or fillers?
What testing has been conducted on the product? Has it undergone verification by a reputable third-party source, such as a laboratory or institution?
Customer Reviews and Reputation
What are the customer ratings (pros and cons) for the product on the brand’s website and third-party platforms like Amazon? Does the brand enjoy a positive reputation with satisfied customers and a robust track record of customer reviews?
Price Per Serving
What is the price for a single purchase? How much does each serving cost? How many servings does the product include? Is the higher cost of raw ingredients attributed to the brand or a proprietary blend of ingredients?
Amount of Mushroom Content Per Serving
What is the amount of mushroom content included per serving in the product? Does the product contain any other medicinal compounds? If so, how much of each compound is present in the product?
Brand / Company
How do customers perceive the brand in terms of reputation? Does the brand produce any other comparable products? Is the brand widely recognized and popular? Do health professionals trust or recommend the brand?
Can customers set up subscription orders for the product? Are there any benefits or discounts available with subscription orders?
FAQs For Best Chaga Mushroom Supplement
Which Brand of Chaga Mushroom is Best?
The best chaga mushroom supplement brand is Real Mushrooms. They offer high-quality supplements at a relatively affordable price, known for their purity and effectiveness. When choosing chaga supplements, consider Real Mushrooms for a reliable option that supports your well-being.
What Should I Look For in Chaga Supplement?
When choosing a Chaga supplement, look for the following:
- Quality: Ensure it’s sourced from a reputable manufacturer.
- Ingredients: Check for pure Chaga extract without fillers or additives.
- Certifications: Look for organic or third-party testing certifications.
- Dosage: Follow recommended dosage instructions.
- Reviews: Read customer reviews for feedback on effectiveness and safety.
Can You Take Chaga Mushroom Every Day?
Yes, you can take Chaga mushroom every day. It’s generally safe for regular consumption. However, start with small doses and monitor your body’s response. Consult a healthcare professional if you have concerns or specific health conditions that may require personalized guidance on daily Chaga usage.
Are Chaga Supplements Effective?
Chaga supplements can be effective for some people, offering potential health benefits like immune support and antioxidants. However, results vary among individuals, and more research is needed to confirm its effectiveness for specific health concerns. It’s best to consult a healthcare professional for personalized advice on Chaga supplementation.
What is The Best Way to Take Chaga Mushroom?
The best way to take Chaga mushroom is in the form that suits your preferences and needs. You can consume it as Chaga tea, add Chaga powder to smoothies, or take Chaga supplements. The choice depends on your desired method of consumption and the health benefits you seek.
Summary: Are Chaga Supplements Worth It?
These mushrooms contain antioxidants and beneficial plant compounds that can be good for your health. They may also have the potential to lower “bad cholesterol” (LDL) due to their antioxidants. Some studies even suggest that they might boost your immune system, fight cancer, and reduce cholesterol. However, it’s important to note that more research is needed to fully confirm these potential benefits for humans.
When you’re looking for the best Chaga mushroom supplement, make sure you choose a reputable seller who prioritizes your well-being over their profits. Remember, Chaga should be used as a supplement alongside a holistic treatment, which often involves making changes to your diet, habits, and daily lifestyle. Wishing you all the best with your Chaga purchase, and may it contribute positively to your health journey.
1. Phytochemistry, traditional uses and health benefits of the mushroom inonotus obliquus (Chaga). Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/292243402_Phytochemistry_traditional_uses_and_health_benefits_of_the_mushroom_inonotus_obliquus_Chaga
2. Inonotus obliquus Aqueous Extract Suppresses Carbon Tetrachloride-induced Hepatic Injury through Modulation of Antioxidant Enzyme System and Anti-inflammatory Mechanism. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/356667290_Inonotus_obliquus_aqueous_extract_suppresses_carbon_tetrachloride_induced_hepatic_injury_through_modulation_of_antioxidant_enzyme_system_and_anti-inflammatory_mechanism
3. Ultraviolet radiation promotes the production of hispidin polyphenols by medicinal mushroom Inonotus obliquus. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/364401858_Ultraviolet_radiation_promotes_the_production_of_hispidin_polyphenols_by_medicinal_mushroom_Inonotus_obliquus
4. Anti-glycation and antioxidant effects of Chaga mushroom decoction extracted with a fermentation medium. Retrieved from https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/fstr/29/2/29_FSTR-D-22-00120/_article/-char/en
5. Immunomodulatory Activity of the Water Extract from Medicinal Mushroom Inonotus obliquus. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3774877/
6. In vivo and in vitro anti-inflammatory and anti-nociceptive effects of the methanol extract of Inonotus obliquus. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7836636_In_vivo_and_in_vitro_anti-inflammatory_and_anti-nociceptive_effects_of_the_methanol_extract_of_Inonotus_obliquus
7. Antitumor activity of water extract of a mushroom, Inonotus obliquus, against HT-29 human colon cancer cells. Retrieved from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ptr.2836
8. Research of Inonotus obliquus Oligosaccharide in Prevention of Hyperlipidemia. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/356655543_Research_of_Inonotus_obliquus_Oligosaccharide_in_Prevention_of_Hyperlipidemia